Workshop: FoxDot Part 1 for beginners
FoxDot Part 1: Coding Music for Beginners is offered online due to COVID-19 restrictions.
FoxDot is an easy-to-use Python library that creates an interactive programming environment and talks to the powerful sound synthesis engine, called SuperCollider to make music. FoxDot schedules musical events in a user-friendly and easy-to-grasp manner that makes live coding easy and fun for both programming newcomers and veterans alike. Ready to get going?
The FoxDot Workshop will lead you through the basics of FoxDot, to point you can make Music with Live Coding alone or with other people together. The FoxDot environment can also be used to write musical compositions in a more traditional way, by dedicating the timing using Python functions.
Group Jam Session using Troop
In order to collectively create music with FoxDot, we will use Troop, a server <--> client environment written in Python. This will create a server<->client connection through a network, preferably using Wifi to connect to the network. FoxDot will use OSC (a digital better of ol' MIDI) to communicate, which is the same way it communicates to SuperCollider under the hood.
The server will only deal with all the clients OSC messages.
The clients will run the SuperCollider audio server underneath of FoxDot in order to get sound out of the can.
For whom is it?
- Beginners, Professionals, Students, Teacher, Let-me-try-something-new people
- Everyone, who loves music and would like to start making your own tracks
- People who play an instrument and want to add their own background music to it
- People who want to learn Live Coding Music as Performance Art
- People who want to experiment with sounds
What do you need?
- Your own laptop with Wifi connectivity
- An Introduction
1.1. What is Live Coding?
1.2. Why using code for music?
1.3. What is FoxDot?
- Getting Started with FoxDot
2.1. Player Objects
2.4. "play" and "loop" Players
- First, a little bit Music Theory
3.1. Song structure
3.2. Chords and Notes
3.3. Scales and Modes
- Live Jam
4.1. Connect to The Wifi Network
4.2. Run Troop